The Department of Psychology seeks to advance the science and professional practice the psychology and its benefits by disseminating the knowledge of scientific approach to human and non-human behaviors, promoting the discipline and training the students as partners in advancing scientific knowledge and developing innovative solutions to important life problems both locally, nationally and globally. The Department aim to develop future students as individuals who have well-developed capacity for synthesizing information, are strong critical thinkers and communicators, and respect and enhance diverse people, cultures and perspectives. AMEC_BCCM believe these skills are necessary for students to pursue a life of intellectual curiosity, to create flourishing in oneself and others, to contribute to the betterment of society, and compete in a rapid shifting and complex world.
The Department of Psychology of AMEC-BCCM is geared to advancing the scientific discipline of Rpm, PhD psychology through the synergistic relationship between teaching, research, and service. The College Dean Psychology Department of AMEC-BCCM is dedicated to promoting excellence in the pursuit of understanding behavior- this is possible by preparing students to become psychologically literate citizens with the skills necessary to flourish and engage in life activities that serve to advance scientific knowledge and actively engage in efforts to improve our communities and beyond. The Department will accomplish this purpose by utilizing best practices in science education, close instructional contact and research training with experts in a variety of fields of psychology, conducting and disseminating cutting-edge scientific research, and fostering engagement in applied learning/service opportunities that connect students with the larger community beyond the classroom.
The Psychology Department of AMEC-BCCM embraces the importance of studying human behavior and mental processes as part of the social science and health-services profession- advancing the study
College Seal of the discipline in areas ranging from basic brain, behavioral and developmental processes, to understanding the cultural effects on behavior, to developing and science-oriented unit, the
Department of Psychology aims to conduct and disseminate relevant behavior-related researches in both laboratory and applied settings. The Department will not only provide training for specific pursuits within our student's chosen field (researches, medicine, health-service providers, teachers), the Department of Psychology will also aim to provides critical instruction to those pursuing careers in numerous other disciplines (education, nursing, medicine, social work, business, law). As a department we value:
1. The primacy of the scientific approach as a means of understanding human behavior, cognition and emotion.
2. Psychological literacy among our students, achieved through active, engaged applied learning experiences in the classroom and the laboratory that go beyond content and lead to the development of data analytic skills, critical thinking skills, information literacy, as to the development of data analytic skills, critical thinking skills, information literacy, as well as oral and written communication skills.
3. Faculty members as engaged teachers, sound scientists, and role models ofthe intellectually involved person that support and advance intellectual inquiry.
4. The scientist- practitioner model as a means to translate basic science into clinical application and train individuals to address the challenges within the scope of psychological science.
5. An open, supportive and collegial environment that celebrates diversity in all its forms and promotes global citizenship, integrity and ethical behavior.