AMEC-BCCM Brief History
The Ago Medical and Educational Center (AMEC) is one of the five (5) pillars of the medical and educational institutions founded by Dr. Damaceno J. Ago and Dr. Eden Fernandez Ago. The four others are: (1) Ago General Hospital, (2) Ago Foundation Hospital, (3) Ago Foundation College, and (4) Bicol Christian College of Medicine.
The Ago General Hospital was established in 1942 followed by the founding of Ago Medical and Educational Center in 1975 with the School of Nursing as the flagship program. In 1978, it was elevated to the College of Nursing. Within the next five years, such other courses as Midwifery, Medical Technology, Liberal Arts, Hotel and Restaurant Management and short-term clerical programs were offered. In 1980, the Bicol Christian College of Medicine was established and the next five years saw the offering of other health science courses in Dentistry, Physical Therapy, Radiologic Technology, and Health Aide. Within the same period, degree courses in Psychology, Zoology, Nutrition and Dietetics, Mass Communication and General Secretariat Administration were opened under the College of Arts and Sciences. To ensure vertical alignment, the AMEC Science High School and the Graduate School of HEalth were likewise established.
The credo “God Heals, We Serve” proves equal to the essential existence of the AMEC System. To date, countless number of competent health professionals who were graduates of AMEC and BCCM have answered their duty to lead and serve others in local and global communities.